Search this Blog for anything you thought you might have seen here.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Updates on HDT's and Leps and No 29 Starfish

HDT's first and with Yarnplayers blessing I will be making some threads to sell BUT don't hold your breath as it won't be for a while.

May is a dire month of supervising University exams and life as I knew it is put on hold for the month. It is so somniferous that yesterday I found myself designing a snowflake while vacantly scanning the room.
It is always a great relaxation to do a little tatting in the break times and this usually generates interest and maybe creates more tatters.

One of the exam co-ordinators has become fascinated especially by my bootees and has asked for a demonstration tomorrow lunchtime. She thinks she will just be watching!!!
Have to take some more eye candy with me.

Can't do a post without some tatting so here is another Hearts Desire this time in my Pumpkin Juice thread.



Have you ever made your favorite recipe....the one that works out perfectly for just the two of you...and now you have to make it for a party of people and it's just not up to scratch as you have never made that quantity before.
Well it's like that with dyeing.......I made up enough Pumpkin Juice for a batch of threads.....and got Pumpkin Juice 'lite' the lighter, less fattening version!!! Which actually is very nice but not what I was aiming for.

After going down on my knees and begging my great friend Laura/Tattycat to write up her cool Starfish pattern...she did and here it is.

Even tho' she didn't know it this is a fabulous starfish design.. I showed it to DH and asked him what it was and he instantly relied 'A Starfish of course, it even has the Aristotle's Lantern in the middle.'
Just in case you might not know, Aristotle's Lantern in echinoderms is an arrangement of 5 bony plates surrounding the mouth.

She has also captured the little tube feet with her picots running along the sides of the arms. The tube feet are a hydraulic skeleton filled with water and used for locomotion and for opening the shells of oysters and mussels on which they feed. They prise open the shell and then invert their stomach into the shell..oops too much information!!!

I have had great comments from new tatters who like the way that I show my mistakes as well as my successes as it encourages them to try and try again. So here is another example of my...always make a mistake in my first attempt...tattings.




Looks pretty good doesn't it?
My dearly beloved dad had a terrific sense of humour, frequently nonsensical, and one of his old chestnuts that I grew up with was.....

What's the difference between a duck?
to which the answer was
One of it's legs is both the same!!!

None of us ever knew what the logic of this was but we couldn't help laughing every time just the same..it was the way that he said it.. I can hear him now.

So that's whats wrong with my starfish.....one of it's legs is both the same!!!
Spot the mistake.

Yes I did say Lep update too.
My leprechauns are now encircling the earth, they have established their presence in England, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, New York and lately New Mexico and all seem to be very happy in their new homes.
If you want to have another look at them, or have never heard of them before then look
here
Well, while they were here I often used to hear strange noises coming from their 'home' but every time I turned round there they were looking at me nonchalantly as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

It is only since I read Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl that I have learned what they were up to. It seems that the name Leprechaun may just have come from the reconnaissance division, LEPRecon of the Fairy Police Force (LEP..Lower Elements Police).
It seems that my leprechauns had joined the LEPRecon Academy and been taking lessons in surveillance.

So be warned these leprechauns are watching you!!
I must emphasize that this was not my intention in sending them out into the world at tatting spies but it is very entertaining... I am getting amazing descriptions of a new TIAS......despite my telling them......I don't want to know what it is!!

So dear friends I would advise you that if you are at all uneasy then make sure that you position your leprechaun where he can't see you tatting!!!

I have read that they are carrying a new surveillance device cunningly disguised at a lucky coin...but then you can't believe all that you read now can you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would really like all leprechauns to check in here by name and position if possible for my records, as I am not actually sure who is reporting back from where...and please acknowledge that your owner has read this disclaimer!!!
Oh, and please behave!! you are representatives of your country.

5 comments:

  1. Very clever, funny post!
    I just had the experience of increasing a dye batch to cover more threads - we just need to remember to increase the amount of dye powder and the water proportions the same - adding more water only makes a lighter shade, as you mentioned with your "less fattening" pumpkin juice!
    I agree that Laura has come up with a fantastic starfish, and I've been looking at your photo to try to find the mistake - I think if someone has to look that hard, there's no mistake worth worrying over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post. The pumpkin juice Hearts Desire looks lovely and the Starfish is awesome. I don't think I've ever seen a real starfish with all 5 legs the same so he looks more like a real starfish.
    Your leprechauns sound like a mischievous bunch.
    Happy Tatting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to comment on...where do I start?

    Firstly, you certainly don't need it, but you have my blessing to sell your lovely HDT as well.

    I lOVE pumpking juice and that starfish is exquisite.

    ...and I just don't know what to say about the leprechauns.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Pumpkin Juice Lite! But I know how you feel... when something doesn't turn out exactly the way I envisioned it, I'm less than enthusiastic about the results, no matter how nice it looks.

    I re-read the post about the leps... I'm thinking I need to return to Ireland! I spent 6 weeks the summer of 1974, and it was the most wonderful summer I've ever had!

    I can't find the mistake in the starfish either! Laura's patterns are awesome, and I know I really need to learn to make a split ring!

    Thanks for starting my day on such a cheerful note with your cleverly worded post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! I love your thread and am anxious to see all of the fabulous colors you come up with. I'm glad you like my starfish and pushed me to write up the pattern. You did a lovely job of it. I've got to check out those leprechauns!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments they keep me blogging.
Every comment is much appreciated, but please try not to use my real name in a comment or on your blog. Tatskool is my on line name and one that I really like. Thanks.