Search this Blog for anything you thought you might have seen here.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ninth Day of December!

24 Snowflakes in Tatting by Lene Bjorn

This is the last of the 'how on earth am I going to tat this one' snowflakes. That's not to say there won't be any more, but they all look do-able from this distance!

This one took me 4 nights to get right, but I got there in the end. Tatted in one round, it goes in and out, up and down and round and about until you are dizzy!! Once you have figured out which direction you are going and where to join it's a doddle!!

I did start off on my first attempt going the wrong way as I came out of the inner ring and ended up with my block tat lines lying the wrong way round...which turned out to be useless...so that was abandoned...especially after I then noticed that there were direction arrows. silly me.

Once again the photo is the reverse of the diagram which doesn't help the confusion.
Nice big print out, flipped over had to be made.

The instructions are actually good with start arrow and follow up arrows.

Loaded up with Flora 20 in a minty green off I went....at speed...too much speed not enough thinking! using Jane/Julie's method as in the last snowflake...I was half way round before I stopped to take stock and realised that....the picot shown by arrow A should have been joined to point B.....ooops!



Looks simple doesn't it...just tie them together when I have finished...WRONG!! that would make one row of block tatting too many and I would end up at the outside instead of the inside!

Well I was b...... if I was going to unpick all that way...so I will tat as far as I can and see what can be done.

I cut out the offending chain and the first ring, stood on my head and tatted backwards to the beginning...or something like that. I did it anyway and it don't look half bad! Well apart from that blob of 4 ends tied off that you prob can't see and I won't look at!!



Yippeeeeeeeeee! it's finished...it was easy really on reflection! they always are..that's why I should tat it again and enjoy it this time. So what colour do you suggest.

Thread amounts it measures 10.5cm in Flora 20
This is just an approximation due to the mistake.....Sh1 9m, Sh2 8m...total 17m that's a lot of tatting!

Joy of joys, tomorrow's pattern looks easy and gorgeous.....now don't peep and it will be a suprise! See ya!

10 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to see in two colors, to make the block tatting striped. That second color would only show up in every other row of the blocks, so you'd have to make it something eye-catching.

    PS- Got my Vanilla Sky yesterday. As soon as I saw it, I realized how much my mom would love it, so I'm edging a doily for her. That purply-blue shade is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is beautiful. A great job, as usual. You mentioned how the photo is a reverse of the diagram. I have had the same problem. Why do you think that is? Is the diagram actually reversed in the book or are we tatting it backwards? ;) I look forward to seeing the rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the mistake of trying to tat this one in gold metallic thread the first time I tatted it. I did finish it but what a pain! breakage, breakage breakage! Never again.

    This one looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Miranda, do show how it turns out. It would be interesting stripey....mmm.

    Hi Steph, All I can say is that the diagram and the photo should be facing the same way IMHO. I always have trouble knowing which way I should be going that's why I like numbered rings or at least some arrows. I went the wrong way the first time I started tatting this one and ended up in a real mess! and then I noticed the arrows!
    It's all a question of whether you are looking at the front or the back, I know that but I do need consistency.

    Hi Gina, I can just imaging the agony of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny...
    I have never had a pattern go the same way as I tat. I just chalked it up to my left-handed tatting, sighed many heavy sighs and muddled through. It never occurred to me to print it out in a reverse image. LOL!

    So now I wonder if the diagram was created by a tatter who used the opposite hand that you do?

    (BTW, I can tat right-handed, but prefer to use my dominant hand. Just never wanted to get too comfortable tatting the other way round.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi IsDihara, The reversed image is such a help. Normally it doesn't matter but with the last 2 designs it was so hard to get the tatting right.

    If the designer doesn't do frontside/backside tatting then I guess they just photograph it anyway up without a thought.
    Often in these patterns with a central motif I will start with wrong side so that I can tat the outer round the way that I prefer, then of course I may be going the opposite way from the diagram. But once I am started it doesn't matter.

    This discussion is getting way too complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful snowflake! I love the color. When I get to this one, I'll be sure to flip the directions... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanilla sky - that is a gorgeous colour, but perhaps block tatting won't be so efective in a variegate. Maybe a solid colour that will tone. So - my favourite, Rainbow bright for the chains, and yellow for the blocks - I'd like to see that!
    It's been a few days since we had a Rainbow Bright snowflake.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane, any help i can give, just ask.

    Hi Maureen. gosh you don't expect much of me!!! that sounds like HELP!! I'd like to see that too...any volunteers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very very pretty! Another winner which doesn't surprise me at all!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments they keep me blogging.
Every comment is much appreciated, but please try not to use my real name in a comment or on your blog. Tatskool is my on line name and one that I really like. Thanks.