Search this Blog for anything you thought you might have seen here.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Thirteenth day Of December!

24 Snowflakes in Tatting by Lene Bjorn

Gosh so many people seem to have just bought this book, I must have started a snowflake flurry! It will be great to see your results. Glad that you are enjoying following my journey.

Thanks for all the compliments about my tree and my angel. If I get a chance I will try to photograph my other trees. the little silver wire one with crystals hasn't even got a look in yet. just too busy.

The Snowflake challenge is on the downhill run and giving me a reason to keep tatting every evening, even with the son and DIL to be here now with us. Christmas is coming much too soon.

The snowflake for the 13th of December looked so much like the previous one for the 12th in my last post....ie rounds of chains...that I thought it was going to be as easy...well I was wrong!!

Be back tomorrow I hope.

It wasn't easy at all, it had a sting in it's tail! The instructions said to complete chain G with a false chain. It was in a very tight spot but OK I can do that I thought and was happy enough...until I got to the end of the next round.
I couldn't figure out what the diagram was trying to tell me. Printed the actual photo large and then again in reverse but it made no sense, until I realised that each chain G needed a split chain to finish...that was 4 split chains in awkward places! which seemed to get worse and worse.

The result looks tolerable but not good enough.



When I got round to having a good look at the photo and diagram, I realised that she had used graduated picots, and mine are no where near graduated enough to achieve the stunning effect that she got.

The thread is a varig' Flora 20 in a sort of peach and white.
Snowflake measures 10.5cm

Thread amounts, Sh1 2m, Sh2 10m as sh2 does most of the work.

9 comments:

  1. I think it is very pretty. All of them are. I think it would be lots of fun to work through a book of patterns but I think I will start out with something more for a beginner. Can you suggest something in a future blog post? I would really like that =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Split chain?! Oh, no! I've never done one... that trip to Ireland is sounding more and more important! I love the way this one turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! That's one of my favorites from the book. Your split chains look nice and smooth, too. I don't know about you, but they give me fits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one for me to avoid, then - since I don't like split chains! A peachy snowflake is actually very Christmassy for our part of the world - it's the time for stone fruit, peaches, cherries, nectarines - always a feature on the Christmas table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We may all HAVE this book, or most of us; but, I really doubt any of us will tat all of those snowflakes. Esp. split chains. I've done split chains, for practice. I have a feeling that if it isn't a technique one uses often; that it's easily forgotten or doesn't turn out as well.
    You did a fantastic job....I'd like to be right with Diana when she arrives in Ireland. LOL I think a few of us would like to sit and tat with Pamela. xxx Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on this one right now, but will not even attempt to do split chains. I've done them before, a few years ago and I don't really want to re-figure out how to do them. Your final snowflake is pretty and if you wouldn't have said anything, I wouldn't have noticed the false chains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, another pretty! Those split chains are bears. You've done a very lovely job of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas.
    Another beautiful snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula,For a beginner I think Vida Sunderman's snowflake book would be good to work through. I have yet to do them all. I doubt that there is anything too hard in there. I have lots of new snowflake books that I have never made anything from...another job for next Christmas.

    Diane Slpit chains are ok...occasionally, one you get enough practice.

    Steph, this design does look great in the book, she is one wonderful tatter. I wonder how many times she had to make them to get them right.

    Maureen, this week we bought apricots, nectarines, melons, strawberries, pineapple,pears, bananas, clementines, blueberries and cherries....jeepers how things have changed...normally I worry about their carbon footprint but not today!
    I love Australia.

    Bev you dont have to use split chains, just make it in several rounds....even in different colours.

    Mica you are right to do it that way.

    Chic thanks...all compliments graciously received.

    Carla, hope you have Merry Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments they keep me blogging.
Every comment is much appreciated, but please try not to use my real name in a comment or on your blog. Tatskool is my on line name and one that I really like. Thanks.